Frank William Boreham 1871-1959

Frank William Boreham 1871-1959
A photo F W Boreham took of himself in 1911

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Boreham Books into Chinese


Some avid readers of this site may remember me writing about the future of Boreham publishing and saying that it would be good to get the works of F W Boreham into Chinese.

In April 2007 in a posting entitled, ‘Geoff Pound Speaks About Publishing Boreham Books’, I said:

“I am discovering that some readers of the Boreham Blog site are from China and I am waiting for someone from the Chinese speaking world to put their hands up and work with us on translating and publishing Boreham books into Mandarin or Cantonese.”

Following that posting I had one sound out that didn’t go anywhere but in recent weeks I have had a phone call from a Mandarin and English speaker who works as an interpreter and translator and he is passionate about translating FWB into Mandarin!

I met with him recently to talk about this venture. He is very self-effacing and does not want any publicity or fanfare. Already he has translated six essays as he is translating the forthcoming book (in English), The Best Essays and Sermons of F W Boreham.

He is commencing an F W Boreham Blog in Mandarin on which he will post stories from “All the Blessings of Life” to introduce Boreham to the Chinese world and to generate interest in Boreham books that will later be published in the traditional (not online) method.

This man has read about 10 of the Boreham books and is looking to purchase more (anyone got any spares?)

I asked him how he is finding the challenge of translating Boreham into Mandarin. He said: “It won’t be hard to translate Boreham. Mandarin is a very poetic and pictorial language and these are words that describe well the Boreham books that I have read.”

I will keep you posted on these developments especially for people who would like to write to Chinese-speaking friends and point them in the direction of the Boreham Blog in Chinese.

If you have any words or ways with which you would like to encourage this man, do write to me and I will be glad to forward them to him.

Dr. Geoff Pound

Image: The Lord’s Prayer